[MITgcm-support] External orbiting forces!

Brian Rose brose at atmos.washington.edu
Fri Sep 14 13:05:48 EDT 2012

Talmaz,

Insolation is "hard coded" in the regular version of AIM.  There is a modified version that computes insolation for arbitrary obliquity but zero eccentricity (based on formulas from Hartmann 1994).  I don't know if the modifications have made it into the standard distribution, but check with David Ferreira (dfer at mit.edu).
You'll probably have to do some custom coding to run AIM with full orbital parameters.

I've often thought that someone should write an separate package to handle insolation and orbital parameters, so that it could interface with any atmospheric physics package.  But we're not there yet.

Hope this helps
Brian

On Sep 14, 2012, at 9:19 AM, Angela Zalucha wrote:

> I am less familiar with the AIM package, so I am sorry I cannot help further.
>
>  Angela
>

> _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
> Angela Zalucha, Ph.D.
> A. M. Zalucha Consulting
>
> Office located at Southwest Research Institute
> 1050 Walnut Street, Suite 300
> Boulder, CO 80302
> USA
> (720) 208-7211
>

> http://www.boulder.swri.edu/~angela/
> _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
>
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2012, taimaz.bahadory wrote:
>
>> Thanks for reply Angela;I'm currently using the AIM package. Isn't there any similar add-on for it?
>> Obliquity, eccentricity, and precession are all three types of Earth's movement/rotation variations over a long period of
>> time (as you may know)
>> Anyway, I will take a look at the Fizhi package is AIM doesn't support this phenomena
>> Thanks again
>> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Angela Zalucha <angela at boulder.swri.edu> wrote:
>>      Taimaz:
>>
>>      If you are using the fizhi package,
>>      subroutine ASTRO in fizhi_clockstuff.F will calculate the solar zenith angle as a function of obliquity and
>>      eccentricity (these constants are set in getcon.F).  But note that they are treated as constants, so you
>>      would need to modify the code if they are changing with time (I assume that's what you mean by precession).
>>
>>      I also have a subroutine to calculate solar zenith angle as a function of obliquity, eccentricity, and
>>      ecliptic longitude as part of my planetary model (not part of the public distribution).  The equation for
>>      solar zenith angle may be found in e.g. Peixoto and Oort, "Physics of Climate" textbook.
>>
>>      Angela
>>
>>      _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
>>      Angela Zalucha, Ph.D.
>>      A. M. Zalucha Consulting
>>
>>      Office located at Southwest Research Institute
>>      1050 Walnut Street, Suite 300
>>      Boulder, CO 80302
>>      USA
>>      (720) 208-7211
>>
>>      http://www.boulder.swri.edu/~angela/
>>      _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
>>
>>      On Fri, 14 Sep 2012, taimaz.bahadory wrote:
>>
>>            Hello everybody;
>>            Does MITgcm support orbital parameters, such as obliquity, precession, and eccentricity? I want
>>            to run a climate model
>>            for, say thousands of years, in which the orbital specifications of Earth will change indeed. Is
>>            MITgcm a suitable
>>            package for such a case?
>>            Thanks

Brian E. J. Rose, PhD
NOAA Climate and Global Change Postdoctoral Fellow
Department of Atmospheric Sciences
University of Washington

office:  ATG 318   phone:  (206) 543-4596
email:  brose at atmos.washington.edu
web:  http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~brose