[MITgcm-support] topography

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Sep 3 04:57:04 EDT 2012

Mohammad,

the MITgcm is written in Fortran and the fastest index is the i-index, that is normally associated with the x-direction (or longitude) in regular grids, j-index corresponds to y-direction, etc.
in Matlab, the first (i-)index in an array is the row index, and the j-index is the column index, as you would expect from the matrix-chapter of your favorite linear algebra textbook, and by default Matlab plots and operates under these assumptions. To do it "right", do this in Matlab:
assign topo(i,j) = some topo (assuming i,j are x,y directions)
to plot you need to transpose, e.g.:
contour(topo')
If it looks right after this, you can save it like this
fopen(fid,'myfile','b'); fwrite(fid,topo,'real*4'); fclose(fid);
(or real*8, whatever you need), and it should work.

Martin