[MITgcm-support] Latent/sensible heat fluxes in MITgcm

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Oct 5 02:46:24 EDT 2012

Hi Chris,

let me remind you of MITgcm-support at mitgcm.org for questions like this.

EXFhl/hs are the latent and sensible heat flux computed from prescribed atmospheric fields (air temperature and humidity, wind) and simulated oceanic fields (mainly SST, but also SSS). So they are exactly what you are looking for.

But I remember that you are interested in sea ice, and here the situation is slightly different, because after EXF computes the above fluxes in exf_bulkformula.F (variables hl, hs) assuming no sea-ice. In seaice_solve4temp the fluxes are recomputed over sea-ice (F_sens, F_lh) and these are, unfortunately, not (as far as I can see) part of the diagnostics scheme, yet. It should be easy to diagnose them using the pkg/diagnostics machinery.

Martin