[MITgcm-support] Thermal wind in ocean cause too large velocity?

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Mon May 21 13:28:42 EDT 2012

If you start your model with zero velocity and a large horizontal temperature gradient, it will undergo a Rossby adjustment first which can have large wave velocities associated with it, though 4 m/s seems large. The Coriolis force takes at least an inertial period to become important.

If you want your model to be in geostrophic balance at startup, you need to specify the velocities in the initial conditions as well.

Cheers,   Jody