[MITgcm-support] Re : cubed sphere: init format, subdomains and tiles

Maura BRUNETTI Maura.Brunetti at unige.ch
Mon May 7 14:15:13 EDT 2012

Dear Jean-Michel,
thank you, I did not realize that the file driver.m is obsolete.

I have repeated the run with 24 procs without linking to the old w2* files and I have
obtained the same results. But this happens only when I use mnc output (as I tipically do):
with rdmnc, I obtain that the size of, for example, Temp in state* files is
[720 30 nr]. I have checked that if I use the mdsio package for the output, the arrays loaded
by rdmds.m have the correct standard format [360 60 nr].

Is this a problem of the mnc package?

Cheers,

Maura

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 10:14:55 -0400
> From: Jean-Michel Campin <jmc at ocean.mit.edu>
> To: mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org
> Subject: Re: [MITgcm-support] cubed sphere: init format, subdomains
> 	and tiles
>
> Hi Maura,
>
> Few things:
> > I have compiled the 2 experiments with the corresponding? W2_EXCH2_SIZE.h and
> > w2_e2setup.F files, obtained by driver.m.
> You don't need to generate theses files (see top of the file:
> MITgcm/utils/exch2/code-mods/README); might need a parameter file "data.exch2"
> only if you have blank tiles or non regular (i.e., with faces of different
> size) cube-sphere grid.
>
> The way you generate input files seems OK to me (one of the simplest example
> of a matlab script that is used to generate input file on regular CS-grid is:
> MITgcm/verification/adjustment.cs-32x32x1/input.nlfs/gendata.m).
> And if you use MITgcm/utils/matlab/rdmds.m to read in your output files,
> in both cases, the loaded array should come with a [60*6 60 nr] shape.
>
> The reason why your output files have not the same shape (after using rdmds.m)
> might be related to the old W2_EXCH2_SIZE.h + w2_e2setup.F files you are using.
>
> Cheers,
> Jean-Michel
>
> On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 02:41:32PM +0200, Maura BRUNETTI wrote:
> > Dear MITgcm users,
> >
> > I am testing different cubed sphere configurations. I have constructed initial conditions in the
> > format (60x6x60) (i.e. bathymetry [60 6 60], Levitus climatology [60 6 60? nr=15], ncep files
> > and Levitus relaxation [60 6 60 nt=12]): in the first experiment, I use 6 procs (sNx =sNy =60,
> > nSx =1, nPx=6), while in the second experiment I use 24 procs (sNx = sNy = 30,? nSx =1, nPx =24).
> > Thus, the subdomain dimension (sNx,sNy) and the number of tiles change in the 2 experiments.
> > I have compiled the 2 experiments with the corresponding? W2_EXCH2_SIZE.h and
> > w2_e2setup.F files, obtained by driver.m.
> >
> > Since I obtain different results with the 2 configurations, I am trying to understand where the error
> > is ... Is it correct to use the same initial files in the format (60x6x60) for the 2 experiments?
> >
> > At the end of the second experiment, I obtain arrays of the format (720x30) (for example,
> > the temperature has the following dimension: [720 30 15 4] after 4 output). So they are not in
> > the standard format (60*6 60). I have found a possible way to convert this format in the standard
> > one, but I am not sure that it is correct... Is there a matlab file which properly reshape the array in
> > the standard format (just using t = reshape(t,[360 60 15 4]) is not sufficient...)
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Maura
> > ?
> >
> > --
> > Dr. Maura Brunetti
> > Institute for Environmental Sciences (ISE)
> [...]
Site de Battelle / D, 7 route de Drize
CH-1227 Carouge / GE -- Switzerland
Phone:   +41 22 379 06 25