[MITgcm-support] SMF package status

Gianmaria Sannino gianmaria.sannino at enea.it
Wed May 2 09:04:59 EDT 2012

Hi Chris,

As you probably know, we've implemented a regional climate model for the
Mediterranean region.
We coupled MITgcm with RegCM (Atmo) via OASIS3.0
Here is a reference to our first work
An atmosphere­ocean regional climate model for the Mediterranean area:
assessment of a present climate simulation
http://www.springerlink.com/content/4k24648p5633n8w2/

After that, we developed NH high resolution gibraltar model
Numerical modelling of three-dimensional stratified tidal flow over
Camarinal Sill, Strait of Gibraltar
http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/pip/2011JC007093.shtml

Here you can find some very nice video of the simulation on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OU84SrS9sE
http://youtu.be/VBrCwnULcfc?hd=1

We transferred all these experiences to a new version of the Mediterranean
model.
A 1/16° with a special zoom (1/200°) in the region of Gibraltar. The model
is forced laterally and internally by tides.
These are some movies showing tides evolution in our Mediterranean model:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZpV_BU_qbg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=RRHqcqFCxZU&NR=1

Now we would like to couple this new Med. version to a higher resolution
atmospheric model (RegCM and NMMB).

Unfortunately the OASIS4 parallel version is no more developed, and so
we're looking for a different coupler
ables to manage larger grid without affecting scalability.
It seems that the new ESMF release (5.3.0) could be the right tool.

Ciao
Gianmaria

--
Gianmaria Sannino, Ph.D
ENEA, Energy and Environment Modeling Unit
email: gianmaria.sannino at enea.it
skype: gianmaria.sannino