[MITgcm-support] MIT with OpenAD

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 21 14:48:27 EDT 2012

Abhisek,

MITgcm works with essentially two different choices of AD tools:
1. TAF (and to limited extent its predecessor TAMC)
2. OpenAD

Our default tool used is TAF, a commercial tool which grew
out of the non-commercial predecessor TAMC.
For you to be able to use TAF (via a script called "staf")
you need to obtain a license from Fastopt which develops TAF.
You should send a request to info at fastopt.de
They may be able to give you a certain (hopefully significant)
period of free trial license for you to explore the utility of the tool.

Regarding the alternative open-source, OpenAD,
I've sent some initial pointers in below email on how to
obtain and implement the OpenAD tool locally.
Jean may send you some specific pointers on how to connect
OpenAD to TAF, if need be.

-Patrick