[MITgcm-support] FLT package

fancer fancer fancer.lancer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 03:26:28 EDT 2012

Dear mitgcm developers,

I am trying to run our 3D internal waves numerical experiments with flt
package using. It runs well and even results look quite reasonable. But
still I have few questions:

I have not found any comprehensive documentation about the package, source
code is only one. According to the source code the kernel of package is 2nd
and 4d order Runge-Kutta algorithm to solve ODE and linear interpolation to
find velocity in the middle of neighbouring array indexes. But I have not
got the purpose of additional functionality, such as up and down movement
of particles. Is there any comprehensive document, which explains
theoretical base of flt package?
I found README.flt, which looks obsolete. Isn't it? For example, kpart has
to be initialized by vertical position in coordinate units, but README says
that it is actual level. Is it the same or not?

In addition I have not found any publications, which concern numerical
experiments using MITgcm and pkg/flt. Are there such articles? Does
somebody compare results, which are got from the flt package, with
trajectories from another packages, for example, TRACMASS?

And finally I have found the segmentation fault error in case of using FLT
package, which occurs if the main model is near to blow up, when velocity
is extremely high.
The error occurs in the FLT_TRILINEAR() subroutine during actual uu
calculating. In this case horizontal indexes, which is passed to the
function, become extremely big. I guess, that such behavior can be related
with package limitation. But still segfault error is not well way of
program working, is it? May be it is reasonable to add some check of array
indexes in the FLT_REUNGE4() subroutine at least in the 2nd, 3d and 3th
steps?

Yours Faithfully,
Sergey. V. Semin