[MITgcm-support] C grid and pressure

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Thu Jul 12 10:43:11 EDT 2012

Hi Nicolas,

Normally we don't care about the "static" or "background" part of the hydrostatic forces on the topography. The pressure due to the fluid at rest doesn't have a dynamical effect on the fluid, so you can throw those big terms out.  Those terms don't enter into the "form drag" since they don't exert a net force on any fluid parcels. If they did, then a fluid at rest would start moving absent any other external forces.

However, maybe you actually care about the lateral force, including the static, for some reason.

Cheers,   Jody