[MITgcm-support] Fwd: model time step 'deltaTmom'

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Jul 12 03:17:06 EDT 2012

Madhu,

as you can probably read in any textbook about numerical modelling and also many times on this email-list and in the documentation (there's for examle this section in one of the verification experiments: <http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node131.html#SECTION004122100000000000000>),
the maximum possible time step is limited by things like the CFL criterion: velocity * deltatT/ deltaX < .5 needs to be satisfied for the model to be stable. Or the viscosity must not be too high, something like Ah * deltaT/deltaX^2 < .5, etc.

Sometimes the initial conditions are chosen so that large adjustment processes take place which require (because of large velocities) a very small time step. Once these adjustments are over, one can often increase the time step.

Martin