[MITgcm-support] C grid and pressure

Nicolas Grisouard grisouard at cims.nyu.edu
Tue Jul 10 18:10:27 EDT 2012

Hi everyone,

Allow me to follow up on a discussion I started 6 months ago.

On 1/7/12 11:37 AM, Jean-Michel Campin wrote:
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> [...] the pressure P can be obtained as:
> P(i,j,k)/rhoConst = -g*rC(k) + PH(i,j,k) + PNH(i,j,k)
>
> And PHL would be the equivalent of PH (hydrostatic pressure potential anomaly)
> but at the bottom, so that the hydrostatic pressure at the bottom Pb
> would be: Pb(i,j)/rhoConst = g*Depth(i,j) + PHL(i,j)

And what about the full bottom pressure? I am trying to compute the
force acting on a topography, so I want to integrate something like
P*h', where P is the pressure and h'is the topographic slope. The way I
compute P is (following the previous notations):

Pb(i,j)/rhoConst = g*Depth(i,j) + PHL(i,j) + PNHbott(i,j),

where I created PNHbott by locating the lowermost cells with some water
in them and picking up the value of PNH there. I guess my worry is that
I am doing something with the PNH fields that was not supposed to be
allowed with the PH fields. Am I?

The actual numbers tell that the g*Depth(i,j) term dwarfs the other
ones, but not enough when integrated against h' to completely ignore the
pressure anomalies.

Thank you for your time and help,
Nico.

--
Nicolas Grisouard -- Assistant Research Scientist
Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences