[MITgcm-support] Issues with walls/periodic model

Chris Horvat horvat at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Jul 9 13:17:50 EDT 2012

I'm running a model with wind and temperature forcings which I'm trying to
force to be a channel run (periodic in x) through setting the topography.
The thing is, the integration blows up after 4 steps any time I allow
perioidicity zonally.

If I place the walls on the east and west, the model runs as desired.
Similarly if I place walls on all four sides, it will run. Only when I
remove the walls on the east and west will the model blow up, whether I
have walls on the north and south or not.

I set up my files from verification/deep_convection originally, so perhaps
there is something set up there that will affect my runs in this way. Is
there anyone who might be able to point me as to what I've screwed up?

Chris Horvat