[MITgcm-support] Adjoins advection schemes

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 3 16:30:16 EDT 2012

Chris,

I've just made some code changes to try to enable SOM in the adjoint.
It passes at least simple gradient checks, which is necessary,
but by no means sufficient
(have added an extra verification in tutorial_tracer_adjsens/).

If you feel courageous you could give it a try.
Update code to the latest (after making sure that you have a
backup of your current working version ;)

Then, in GAD_OPTIONS.h set:
#define GAD_ALLOW_TS_SOM_ADV

and in data set:
 multiDimAdvection=.TRUE.,
 tempAdvScheme=81,
 saltAdvScheme=81,
(or 80 for non-flux-limited version).

There remain some recomputation inefficiencies, but I think (hope)
they can be tolerated at this point.
Would be curious to know how it goes.

Happy 14th of July
-Patrick