[MITgcm-support] C grid and pressure

Nicolas Grisouard grisouard at cims.nyu.edu
Fri Jan 6 18:53:24 EST 2012

Hi everyone,

Two simple questions, they should be easy but I'm having a hard time
confirming my guesses.

1/ In the pdf of the MITgcm manual, if you take a look at figure 2.9
(the one showing the 3D staggering of velocity components), you see that
w is evaluated on top and bottom of a tracer cell. So if you have Nr
tracer cells, you should get Nr+1 vertical points for the W field, which
is not the case. Does it mean that the bottom point is systematically
ignored as is it zero? And hence that the z-coordinate for the W field
is RF minus its bottom point?

2/ I am running oceanic, non-hydrostatic configurations with a linear
free surface (nonlinFreeSurf = 0) and linear EOS. If I want to have the
pressure at a given point i,j,k located in the center of a tracer cell,
do I need to simply do the following:

P(i,j,k) = PH(i,j,k) + PNH(i,j,k) + Eta(i,j)*g*rho_surface(i,j) ?

PH, PNH and Eta are the result of reading the output files of the same
names and rho_surface will be diagnosed from the temperature. What about
PHL in the presence of topography? After searching through the
documentation as well as the support list archive, I finally managed to
get completely confused on that issue.

Thanks for your time and help,
Nicolas.

--