[MITgcm-support] Freshwater OBCS problem

Dustin Carroll spanishcastlemagik at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 12:39:19 EST 2012

Hello,

I have a model set up to simulate circulation in a fjord. I am using OBCS with my western boundary being forced by the tides (with a 100km sponge layer). The eastern boundary is a small channel through the topography / bathymetry. Through the eastern boundary I am forcing fresh water into the fjord with a u vel of 0.5 m/s.

The initial salinity prescribed to the model grid varies between 32 and 35, increasing with depth.

I am having a problem with my model blowing up in the first time step. I seems that anytime I turn on the freshwater eastern boundary I get NEGATIVE SALINITY warnings and the cg2d doesn't converge and I get NaN's. Is there anything else I have to consider when having such a strong salinity gradient at a OBCS?

I have tried setting freshwater flux to true, increased my cg2d iters / lowered my timestep, and tried both 33 and 77 advection schemes. I am using EXF for forcing my boundary conditions.

Thanks,

# ====================
# | Model parameters |
# ====================