[MITgcm-support] vertical velocities in high-res runs

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Sat Aug 25 16:23:50 EDT 2012

Hi Andreas,

And you are happy w/ all the other vertical velocities?  Maybe turn off the non-linear EOS and use a linear one to start? Is there something interesting about our T/S relationship at those isopycnals that could interact with JMD95Z in funny ways, i.e. produce grid scale double diffusion?  I don't think KPP or Smagorinsky would help get rid of that.  You could also look at your horizontal diffusivities (not just viscosities).

I have to say, that your data file is full of options I've never heard of or used.  Did you think about trimming most of them out, and then adding them back in one by one until you get the physics you want?

Good luck,  Jody