[MITgcm-support] Turbulent Ice-Ocean heat flux

Alexander Slavin aslavin at mun.ca
Wed Aug 1 16:45:42 EDT 2012

Martin,

Thank you for quick answer. Good remark about versions.
I used one year old version - v 1.140 2011/07/21
In new 1.173 version this part of code in seaice_growth.F looks like:

C determine available heat due to the ice pack tying the
C underlying surface water temperature to freezing point
C ======================================================

#ifdef ALLOW_AUTODIFF_TAMC
CADJ STORE theta(:,:,kSurface,bi,bj) = comlev1_bibj,
CADJ &                       key = iicekey, byte = isbyte
CADJ STORE salt(:,:,kSurface,bi,bj) = comlev1_bibj,
CADJ &                       key = iicekey, byte = isbyte
#endif

         DO J=1,sNy
          DO I=1,sNx
C         FREEZING TEMP. OF SEA WATER (deg C)
           tempFrz = SEAICE_tempFrz0 +
&              SEAICE_dTempFrz_dS *salt(I,J,kSurface,bi,bj)
C efficiency of turbulent fluxes : dependency to sign of THETA-TBC
           IF ( theta(I,J,kSurface,bi,bj) .GE. tempFrz ) THEN
            tmpscal1 = SEAICE_mcPheePiston
           ELSE
            tmpscal1 =SEAICE_frazilFrac*drF(kSurface)/SEAICE_deltaTtherm
           ENDIF
C efficiency of turbulent fluxes : dependency to AREA (McPhee cases)
           IF ( (AREApreTH(I,J) .GT. 0. _d 0).AND.
&         (.NOT.SEAICE_mcPheeStepFunc) ) THEN
            MixedLayerTurbulenceFactor = ONE -
&          SEAICE_mcPheeTaper * AREApreTH(I,J)
           ELSEIF ( (AREApreTH(I,J) .GT. 0. _d 0).AND.
&             (SEAICE_mcPheeStepFunc) ) THEN
            MixedLayerTurbulenceFactor = ONE - SEAICE_mcPheeTaper
           ELSE
            MixedLayerTurbulenceFactor = ONE
           ENDIF
C maximum turbulent flux, in ice meters
           tmpscal2= - (HeatCapacity_Cp*rhoConst * recip_QI)
&         * (theta(I,J,kSurface,bi,bj)-tempFrz)
&         * SEAICE_deltaTtherm * maskC(i,j,kSurface,bi,bj)
C available turbulent flux
           a_QbyOCN(i,j) =
&         tmpscal1 * tmpscal2 * MixedLayerTurbulenceFactor
           r_QbyOCN(i,j) = a_QbyOCN(i,j)
          ENDDO
         ENDDO

But it is still not clear for me, where the dependence of relative
ocean-ice velocity calculated?
Is it in SEAICE_mcPheePiston constant?

Thank you,

Alexander.