[MITgcm-support] Coarse global MITgcm with stable climate

Christopher L. Wolfe clwolfe at ucsd.edu
Sat Apr 28 19:37:19 EDT 2012

Hello modelers,

Does anyone know if there's a "standard" set of parameters, initial conditions, and forcings which gives a stable ocean climate on a coarse grid (say, 1 degree)? By "stable," I mean that I could run the model with an annually repeating atmospheric state without the model drifting too far from its initial conditions. It doesn't need to be the most realistic possible global model, though the circulation should at least resemble that of the modern ocean.

I recall some MITgcm people (including Dave Ferreira, I think) mentioning late last year that there was a global configuration in the works that had been tuned using the adjoint to reproduce a reasonably realistic stable climate, but I never heard what came of it.

If anyone could give me some pointers, I'd be grateful.

Cheers,
Christopher

Dr. Christopher L. Wolfe              	   858-534-4560
Climate, Atmospheric Science, and Physical Oceanography
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD  clwolfe at ucsd.edu