[MITgcm-support] formula to calculate wind stress based on wind speed

Christoph Voelker Christoph.Voelker at awi.de
Mon Apr 16 05:48:58 EDT 2012

On 4/16/12 11:41 AM, Chun-Yan Zhou wrote:
> Hi all,
>  The MITgcm need wind stress file as input file to calculate wind influence. However, I just got wind speed(X,Y direction) at 10m above sea surface. Is there any formula to transfer the wind speed into wind stress?
>
> Any suggestion is highly appreciated!
>
> chunyan

Hi Chunyan,

this is one of the many things that the EXF package can do for you, see

http://dev.mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node245.html

and check especially the description of ALLOW_ATM_WIND.

Cheers, Christoph

--
Christoph Voelker, Research Scientist,
Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research