[MITgcm-support] Vertical Biharmonic Diffusivity & a Passing Solid Object.

Flanagan, Jason FORNATL, EI jdflanag at nps.edu
Wed Sep 21 14:48:20 EDT 2011

Hi all,

We are currently interested in modeling Thermohaline staircases and the effects of a passing solid object on vertical transport (temperature/salinity fluxes etc). To this end we would greatly appreciate advice on the following;

1)      We have had some success in implementing the horizontal operator for biharmonic diffusivity ('diffK4' in our input/data file). Is there an equivalent vertical operator available in MITgcm? If so, how can we access it? If not, any advice on how to implement this operator in MITgcm would be most welcome.

2)      Where in the source code would be the best place to introduce a disruption to the velocity components that would be ellipsoidal in nature and non-stationary?

Many Thanks,
Jason.