[MITgcm-support] phihydlow without topography signal

Katherine Quinn kquinn at aer.com
Fri Sep 16 14:30:18 EDT 2011

Hi Martin,
This was very helpful.  I can see now that if rho_0 isn't a good
approximation of the mean density then there will still be quite a large
imprint of topography on the instantaneous phihydlow.
One more question - is the density anomaly, rho', a 3D variable?  I am
assuming yes, which means the third term in your bottom pressure
equation will actually be an integral w.r.t depth from R_low to eta.
That is:
bottom pressure = p_atmosphere + g*rho_0*(D+eta) + int(from R_low to
eta){g*rho'*dz}
thanks, Katy

Message: 2