[MITgcm-support] Abnormal end

himansu pradhan oceancalling at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 15:27:00 EDT 2011

Hi MITGCM users,

I am a using MITGCM model to find Internal waves in Bay of Bengal , Indian
Ocean. Initially i have taken a coarser gird to investigate it. i have used
the same "obcs_calc.F" given in the model. My queries are :

      (i) My model has an abnormal end

[  ** WARNING ** INI_MODEL_IO: use tiled-files to write sections (for OBCS)
   ** WARNINGS ** INI_SALT: found       704 wet grid-pts with salt=0
identically.
   SOLUTION IS HEADING OUT OF BOUNDS: tMin,tMax= -7.761E+02  1.428E+03
   exceeds allowed range (monSolutionMaxRange=  1.000E+03)
   MON_SOLUTION: STOPPING CALCULATION at Iter=
1957                               ]

I have checked both CFL criteria and the stability criteria. They are well
below their limits.

    (ii) Pls help me how to use the parameters  (a) hFacInf  (b) abEps
                    (i.e. what values i should assign to them)

    (iii) What more parameters should i use in my data file for my Internal
wave simulation. My data file is as follows:
====================
# | Model parameters |
# ====================
#
# Continuous equation parameters
 &PARM01
 tRef=,
 sRef=,
 viscAz=1.E-3,
 viscAh=100,
 no_slip_sides=.FALSE.,
 no_slip_bottom=.TRUE.,
 diffKhT=,
 diffKzT=,
 diffKhS=,
 diffKzS=,
 f0=0.00003764,
# beta=1.E-11,
 gravity=9.81,
 rigidLid=.FALSE.,
 implicitFreeSurface=.TRUE.,
 exactConserv=.TRUE.,
 eosType='LINEAR',
# hFac=0.2,
 nonHydrostatic=.TRUE.,
# nonlinFreeSurf=0,
 readBinaryPrec=64,
 writeBinaryPrec=64,
 globalFiles=.TRUE.,
 &

# Elliptic solver parameters
 &PARM02
 cg2dMaxIters=1000,
 cg2dTargetResidual=1.E-13,
 cg3dMaxIters=50,
 cg3dTargetResidual=1.E-13,
 &

# Time stepping parameters
 &PARM03
 niter0=0,
 nTimeSteps=28800,
# startTime=0,
# endTime=432000,
 deltaTmom=30,
 deltaTtracer=30,
 abEps=0.1,
# pChkptFreq=4000000.0,
# chkptFreq=0.0,
 dumpFreq=1000,
 monitorFreq=100,
 &

# Gridding parameters
 &PARM04
 usingCartesianGrid=.TRUE.,
 usingSphericalPolarGrid=.FALSE.,
 dXspacing=25000,
 dYspacing=25000,
 delZ=20.00,20.00,20.00,20.00,20.00,
  30.00,30.00,30.00,50.00,50.00,
  50.00,100.00,200.00,300.00,300.00,
 &

# Input datasets
 &PARM05
 bathyFile='topo5345.bin',
 hydrogThetaFile='15lvlT.bin',
 hydrogSaltFile='15lvlS.bin',
 zonalWindFile='winU.bin',
 meridWindFile='winV.bin',
 checkIniTemp=.false.,
 checkIniSalt=.false.,
 &

I too have attached a tar file (him.tar) in which i have sent my "input" and
"code" folder for more clarification of my queries.

Thanking you in advance,

Himansu Kesari Pradhan
PhD student ,
Indian Institute of Technology-Delhi,