[MITgcm-support] Excess cooling at the surface layers

himansu pradhan oceancalling at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 07:13:45 EDT 2011

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. I extend my apologies for my
late reply. I had to carry on some experiments as per your suggestion.

REPLY to Martin :

a) ETA Values at 1st, 10 th and 15 days of model integration are as follows
(Boundaries open: North South and East)

1 st Day: ~ 0.1m to -0.5m

10 th Day: ~ -14.0m

15 th Day: ~ -19m

b) I have run the model as per your suggestion, closing all the boundaries :

useOrlanskiNorth=.FALSE.,

useOrlanskiSouth=.FALSE.,

useOrlanskiEast=.FALSE.,

useOrlanskiWest=.FALSE.,

This resulted in ETA values as below

1 st Day: ~ +0.16 to -0.02m

10 th Day: ~ -0.24 to + 0.55m

15 th Day: ~ -0.3 to +0.62m

The ETA values, I suppose, are fairly reasonable but the Circulation is
practically reversed. I gave a southwestrly wind (blowing from southwest to
northeast). I expect a clockwise circulation which i am getting with
realistic open boundaries to my domain. (west closed and the rest open).
WHEN I CLOSED ALL THE FOUR BOUNDARIES, surprisingly I AM GETTING AN
ANICLOCKWISE CIRCULATION, which is not expected.

OUTPUT_temp_15thday.jpg : North,South and East OPENED

Temp_CLOSED_Boundary.jpg : All boundaries CLOSED

 *REPLY to Dimitris Menemenlis *

 Still we are struggling to set the MITgcm nonhydrostatic model for the Bay
of Bengal....We have not considered the heat fluxes for the time being,. To
start with our main concern is to simulate the basic seasonal features
corresponding to the wind forcing, which we have not yet accomplished.

REPLY to Jody

Right now we are trying to set the model and interested to validate the
model simulations on seasonal scale: e.g., Circulation, elevation and and
three dimensional thermal fields etc of our model domain. Tidal forcing
will be considered subsequently for the simulations of internal waves. We
are not getting any reasonable simulations so far...For example, the SST is
getting too cooled beyond any explicable reasoning.....Sometime we get a
cyclonic circulation where we expect an anticyclonic one...etc

We observe fairly strong temperature gradients at the open boundaries
(please see the attached SST figure). That's why I wonder if this has got
something to do with the open boundary conditions.

Once again I thank you all....Looking forward for more suggestions...