[MITgcm-support] tutorial_baroclinic_gyre instability

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Oct 20 09:44:09 EDT 2011

Craig,

in the documentation I find this
http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node120.html
where the stability criteria are discussed. The first is viscAh=4e2, to give a Munk layer of about 100km. You model resolution is 1deg, which is 111km to 55km for your domain (as far as I can see), so contrary to what it says in the documentation, I would argue that the Munk layer is barely resolved, which can lead to "standing" patterns as observed in your your run.
Try a larger viscAh (but not too large to violate the second CFL like criterion on Ah).

You can also try to use the scaled parameter viscAhGrid. Is there documentation about this? I never can find anything about this parameter so I refer to the header of pkg/mom_common/mom_calc_visc.F

Martin