[MITgcm-support] A question on external forcing timestep

Christoph Voelker Christoph.Voelker at awi.de
Tue Oct 18 08:25:39 EDT 2011

Hi Diego,

in data.exf you can specify a separate period for every forcing field.
I, for example use

 &EXF_NML_02
 uwindstartdate1   = 00010101,
 uwindstartdate2   = 120000,
 uwindperiod       = 86400.0,
#
 vwindstartdate1   = 00010101,
 vwindstartdate2   = 120000,
 vwindperiod       = 86400.0,
#
 ... more lines left away
 &

to prescribe daily (period = 86400 seconds) forcing, assuming that my
first record in the wind files starts on the first of january in year
0001, at 12:00 h. You should probably do something like

 uwindstartdate2 = 013000,
 uwindperiod = 10800.0,

Cheers, Christoph

On 10/18/11 2:07 PM, diego bruciaferri wrote:
> Hi Mitgcmers,
>
> I use external forcing of momentum and heat fluxes every 3 hours
> (zonalWindFile, meridWindFile and surfQfile in PARM05 namelist).
> What is the parameter (if any) I have to set to make the model read
> each time step every 3 hours?
>
> Thank you in advance.
> Best regards,
>
> Diego

Christoph Voelker, Research Scientist,
Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research
Bremerhaven, Germany