[MITgcm-support] Initial theta field in tutorial (Global Ocean Simulation at 4 deg)

Krishnakumar Rajagopalan krishna_raj_2010 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 16 13:17:20 EST 2011

Hi Martin,

Thanks a lot for the information.

Best regards

Krishnakumar

From: Martin Losch <Martin.Losch at awi.de>
To: mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 12:40 AM
Subject: Re: [MITgcm-support] Initial theta field in tutorial (Global Ocean Simulation at 4 deg)

Hi Krishnakumar,

you are right in that lev_t.bin contains 12 monthly averages of temperature  (from an old  Levitus data base, I believe the 1994-version). In ini_theta.F, the model reads only the first 90x40x15 values, corresponding to the January mean, and uses them as the initial conditions. The other 11 months are not use. I agree that this is a little misleading. You could also provide a file that contains just one month (with size 90x40x15), and the initialisation will be fine.

Martin