[MITgcm-support] Meridional overturning streamfunction and free surface

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Nov 16 08:11:43 EST 2011

Andrea,

I am no expert on this, but here's my 5-cent:

- strictly speaking you can only define a streamfunction, if the flow is non-divergent (dv/dy+dw/dz=0)
- your model is generally not non-divergent, so your streamfunction will not be correct, nevertheless you can use is as a diagnostic. I usually integrate from the bottom to the top to make sure that the streamfunction is exactly zero at the bottom (at the expense of having a non-zero stream function at the surface, usually I don't care too much about that).
- I think that the linear free surface is not used in flux computations in the model, so that you should not attempt to include it in the stream-function-computations and your experience confirms this. Only when you turn on the non-linear free surface, the hFac's actually change, so that the diagnostic VVELMASS (=vVel*hFacS at V-points) contains the effect of the varying surface. You can then use VVELMASS to compute the stream function.

Martin