[MITgcm-support] Zonal and vertically averaged diagnostics

cimatori cimatori at knmi.nl
Thu Nov 10 05:44:29 EST 2011

Dear MITgcm users,

I have a question on diagnostic output, hope it's not too trivial...

I am interested in computing a mass budget (both total mass and salt
mass) for a basin with simple geometry (box+periodic channel), and I
would like to output some transport terms integrated both zonally and
vertically. In other words, I want to compute the budget at each
different latitude from south to north (keeping the northern boundary
fixed). This means that I would have to output a vector with the size of
the number of grid points along y.
As fas as I could understand, this doesn't seem to be a standard choice
for the diagnostics package. Did anybody try something like this? Is
there some tutorial case including an example?

Apart from this, is there any reference on how good or bad the mass
budget in MITgcm might be?

Any suggestion would be of great help, thanks!
Andrea