[MITgcm-support] Heat Budget in tutorial (Global Ocean Simulation at 4 deg)

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Fri May 20 10:59:55 EDT 2011

Hi,

Just a detail: with Linear FreeSurf, there is a small loss of heat/salt/tracer
 at the surface (d/dt(Eta) inconsistent with fixed surf grid cell thickness):
a) if linFSConserveTr is set to true (file "data"), then the model
  correct for this (see S/R calc_wsurf_tr.F).
b) if linFSConserveTr=False (=the default), need to account for this term
 in the budget, which can be obtain from the 1rst level of WTHMASS / WSLTMASS
 diagnostics (diagnostics ADVr_TH / ADVr_SLT is not the right one for
 this purpose, it's just zero at k=1).

Cheers,
Jean-Michel