[MITgcm-support] 2d pressure solver bdy condition

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Fri May 13 09:22:09 EDT 2011

Hi Aurelien,

I don't disagree with Martin ; and as I sais yesterday, just providing
and applying eta OBC value will not do much since the 2-d pressure
solver ignore (matrix coeff set to zero in ini_cg2d.F) values
of eta at the OB.

What I would propose to try (in this order):
1) without changing 2-d solver, compute a correction (in obcs_calc)
 to the prescribe velocity that is function of the pressure
 gradient accross OB. You can put a tunable parameter, and
 try to see if this improve something, with you current time-step
 and also with a smaller time-step. If you reduce the time-step,
 the 2-d solver solution will become closer to an explicit method
 solution.
2) once you have a solution that works with a small time-step,
 you could try to put this correction into the solver (so that
 it would be solved implicitly).

Cheers,
Jean-Michel