[MITgcm-support] what's the difference between _RL and _RS when definite parameters?

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Mar 28 07:10:14 EDT 2011

Chun-Yan,

the variables and declarations starting with "_" are macros, that are expanded during the cpp step. Compare a .F to a .f file and you'll see that. The macros are mostly defined in model/inc/*.h
by default both _RL and _RS expand into real*8. You you can use a cpp-flag (LET_RS_BE_REAL?) to make _RL expand into real*4 (single precision), you normally you do not need that (and shouldn't have to worry about that)

Sign of uDragTerms: Not sure, but I think the convention in the code is that the "G"-terms are meant to be on the rhs side of the time stepping equation, so u(t+1) = u(t) + Gu(t). In this sense the sign appears correct (drag term reduces u(t+1)). The sign in the documentation does appear to be the other way around. Could be even a bug (in the documentation). Let's see what others say.

Martin