[MITgcm-support] potential density

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at ucsd.edu
Tue Mar 22 12:00:50 EDT 2011

Hi Bruno,

Not sure about (U,V,W)RHOMASS -- I would assume those are the
transport of in situ density since the model uses in situ density.

Derivatives of density (e.g. drhodz) are computed with a local
reference pressure -- so they are the gradient of potential (or
neutral) density. Therefore I believe sigmax and sigmay are the
gradients of pot. density.

-Matt