[MITgcm-support] How to simulate the geostrophic current?

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Mar 15 06:28:48 EDT 2011

Hi Paul,

it's not clear to me what you want to do. The MITgcm implements the full so-called primitive equations (actually, it can also do the filtered Boussinesque Navier-Stokes equations). The dominant balance in large scale circulation simulations with the MITgcm (but also with other GCMs) will be the geostrophic balance.
What you are trying to do looks a bit like "diagnostic runs", where T/S are basically held fixed via restoring and the model computes some velocity field from that (as in the early papers by Bryan and Cox?). This will not give you a purely gestrophic flow field, as more terms of the balance are involved. For purely gestrophic balance, you'll have to turn of the advection of momentum, T,S, turn off the viscosity and diffusion. Maybe these parameters help:
tempStepping = .false.,
saltStepping = .false.,
momViscosity = .false.,
momAdvection = .false.,
momForcing = .false.,
and when there is no timestep in T/S, then you do not need the rbcs package, because T/S will not change.

I have no idea if this will do what you want, but it will give you a model run with T/S fixed in time and just the geostrophic balance left after the transients have faded (du/dt is not turned off!).

M.