[MITgcm-support] Convection experiment!

Ertyy antonypolar at yahoo.com.cn
Mon Mar 14 21:56:07 EDT 2011

Dear All:
      I have tried the deep ocean convection example, however, I did not get what I expected (The only change is that the initial data is not used). The results should be the same with the the NH one presented in JM Campin's paper <Super-parameterization in Ocean Modelling: Application to Deep Convection>.
      My results show a strong horizontal motion of the initial localized cooling disk, which is distorted significantly after several hours, in the meantime, the vertical convection process is not clear. I have no idear what happened. Based on the free surface data, it seems that the gravity waves play a role in the horizontal motion.
       Similar phenomenon happend when I configure a 1D experiment based on the gravity plume experiment, in which the Qnet forcing with a radius of 10 grid is moved to the center of the domain and the bottom is flat.