[MITgcm-support] installing problem

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Mar 7 02:33:19 EST 2011

Hi Ali,

that depends entirely on your computational domain and your available resources.

As a rule of thumb I make sure that the horizontal tiles do not become smaller than say, 30x30 (sNx, sNy) grid points. Below that number the global pressure solver (cg2d) usually does not scale linearily (that does not mean, that the code will not get faster if you have 2 30x15 instead of one 30x30 tile, but it will most likely not be 2 times faster). With multicore cpus it is possible (and likely) that the bandwidth of the core connection to the memory bus is the limiting factor. In the past I had situations with intel quad-core cpus where using 4cores on one cpu/chip was no faster than just using 2 per cpu/chip. in the end you'll have to figure out what is most efficient for your particular application.

Martin