[MITgcm-support] NaNs in dic

David Munday Munday at atm.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jun 28 04:57:46 EDT 2011

Hi Manfredi,

What sort of condition are you using for atmospheric pCO2? I use an interactive pCO2 concentration (dic_int1=3), and I've seen this sort of thing happen at start-up due to very large outgassing into the atmospheric box. I never really found a fix more elegant than increasing the box's initial pCO2 so less outgassing occurs. I imagine that this could still happen with other dic_int1 options, such as fixed pCO2, if the air-sea gas disequilibrium was particularly high.

Best wishes,

Dave

On 28 Jun 2011, at 03:43, Manfredi Manizza wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am having troubles with restarting some runs after downloading and compiling the new code last week.
>
> I  have NaNs corresponding to the variable "dic" in the DIC biogeochemical package,
> after a few time steps .....all the other bgc tracers are fine.
>
> I am assuming that if the PO4 have realistic values
> the biological uptake is fine and the problem might be linked to
> the CaCO3 processes, although alkalinity is fine too which is suspicious.
>
> I am using the OCMIP old routine for CAR_S.
>
> Any help/suggestion is welcome.
>
> Manfredi

Dr. David R. Munday
University of Oxford
Atmospheric, Oceanic, and Planetary Physics
Clarendon Laboratory
Parks Road
Oxford
OX1 3PU
U.K.                 01865 284 329

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
     - W.B. Yeats, He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven -