[MITgcm-support] Question about parallel run

Stefano Querin squerin at ogs.trieste.it
Tue Jun 14 09:40:45 EDT 2011

Hi Ali,

> Hi,
> I am wondering that should i recompile MITgcm each time that i want
> to run that on our cluster with different number of processors?!

Yes (as far as I know...), you have to recompile it.

> assume i want to run it on 10 processors, 16 processors , 20
> processors and etc... should i change size.h file each time and
> recompile my code?

Yes.
For more info:
http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node102.html
http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node181.html

> what if two or more user want to submit parallel job with MITgcm
> with different number of processors?

Just run them on separate folders...
If many people want to perform several runs, you should also have a
job scheduler installed on your cluster to handle the job queues.
Ask your system administrator.

> have i need a different compiled code for each of them?!

Yes, one executable for each kind of domain decomposition.

> Best Regards.
> --
> A.Nazemian

Cheers,