[MITgcm-support] MPI on SGI

Nikki Lovenduski uclanik at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 14:24:30 EDT 2011

Hi Matt, Ryan, et al.,

Thanks for your rapid responses.

I'm compiling an older version of the model (checkpoint 58).  I tried adding
usingMPI =.TRUE., to eedata, but got the same result.

Here's my optfile:

****************************
#!/bin/bash

FC=`which mpif77`
CC=`which mpicc`
DEFINES='-DALLOW_USE_MPI -DALWAYS_USE_MPI -D_BYTESWAPIO -DWORDLENGTH=4'
CPP='cpp  -traditional -P'
MPI='true'
INCLUDEDIRS="$MPIROOT/include $NETCDF/include"
LIBDIRS=$MPIROOT/lib
LIBS="-L/opt/torque/lib -L$MPIROOT/lib -L$NETCDF/lib -lnetcdf -lmpich"
INCLUDES="-I$NETCDF/include"
NOOPTFLAGS='-O0'
S64='$(TOOLSDIR)/set64bitConst.sh'
#  For IEEE, use the "-ffloat-store" option
if test "x$IEEE" = x ; then
    FFLAGS="-Wunused -Wuninitialized -DWORDLENGTH=4 -I$NETCDF/include"
    FOPTIM='-O3 -funroll-loops'
else
    FFLAGS="-Wunused -ffloat-store -DWORDLENGTH=4 -I$NETCDF/include"
    FOPTIM='-O0 '
fi
****************

And here's my job submission script:

****************
#!/bin/sh
#PBS -l nodes=2:ppn=8
#PBS -V
#PBS -m ae

NCPU=`wc -l < $PBS_NODEFILE`
NNODES=`uniq $PBS_NODEFILE | wc -l`

MPIRUN=/usr/local/bin/mpiexec

CMD="$MPIRUN -n $NCPU"

echo "--> Node file: " $PBS_NODEFILE
echo "--> Running on nodes: " `uniq $PBS_NODEFILE`
echo "--> Number of cpus: " $NCPU
echo "--> Number of nodes: " $NNODES
echo "--> Launch command: " $CMD

cd test_16cpu_nl
$CMD test_16cpu_nl/mitgcmuv_test_16cpu_nl
*****************

Any additional comments or suggestions would be most helpful!

Thanks,
Nikki

Hi Nikki,

not sure, but perhaps try adding
 usingMPI =.TRUE.,
to eedata

Though this error doesn't seem to be part of the new code -- what
version are you using?

-Matt

Hi Nikki,

It will be easier to figure out what's going on if you tell us which
optfile you are using at build time (specified in your genmake2
command) and also exactly how you are calling the executable at run
time (your job sumbmission script).

-R