[MITgcm-support] Compiling MITGCM passive tracer experiment

Neill Mackay neill_mackay at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 7 11:53:57 EDT 2011

Hi,

I’m in the early stages of learning how to use the MITGCM
for a tracer experiment. In attempting to compile the passive tracer experiment
in the directory ‘tutorial_tracer_adjsens’ under ‘verification’, I’m
following the instructions in the ‘README’ file for compiling:

Configure and compile the code:

  cd build

  ../../../tools/genmake2 -mods ../code_ad
-adof=../../../tools/adjoint_options/adjoint_staf [-of my_platform_optionFile]

  make depend

  make adall

The first two commands work OK (I am using the attached
option file ‘gnu’ inherited from a colleague), but the ‘make’ fails with the
following error:

make: staf: Command not found

make: *** [ad_taf_output.f] Error 127

I’ve contacted our IT support for the HPC cluster here at
UEA on which I am running the MIT GCM, but they are not familiar with the ‘staf
compiler’ (as mentioned in your manual pages section 3.4.2). Is this a third
party package that needs to be installed, and if so where can I find it? If
it’s included in the MIT GCM tar ball, how do I go about making use of it?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

Regards,

Neill Mackay.