[MITgcm-support] A constant flow

Klymak Jody jklymak at uvic.ca
Tue Jul 12 19:08:58 EDT 2011

Serge,

On 2011-07-12, at 11:16 AM, fancer fancer wrote:

> Dear Jean-Michel,
> As I know The setting momStepping in false value turns off a calculation of evolution of flux. But we need such calculations in our experiment. Are there some other way to set constant background flow such as the river?
>
> Dear Joseph,
> Is it real to set current on eastern boundary as the river and to set flow on western boundary as a barotropic tidal at the same time

Sure you can do this.  However, I'd make sure the western boundary was tide+net flow so the river water has somewhere to go unless you don't mind the domain filling up over time.  You'll probably also want either a) a sponge, and/or b) a large reservoir to let your estuarine circulation set up in the interior of your model domain. You will have estuarine velocities on top of the tide, and you won't be able to predict those a-priori, so you need to sponge them away before they hit the western boundary.

Cheers,   Jody

> A little bit about experiment:
> It will be a numerical experiment on pycnocline evolution in estuary under irregular bottom.
> In particular in first part of experiment we need to set an irregular bottom, a constant background flow as the river flow, a periodic flow as a barotropic tidal on a western boundary, and to set a distribution of density.
>
> I know how to set almost all these parameters. But I am not sure about background flow.
> Is my suggestion about redefinition external_forcing.F correctly? And can I set the background flow just by adding a constant flow to gU array, for example, in EXTERNAL_FORCING_U subroutine for all kLev?
>
> Yours sincerely,
> Sergey Semin
>
> On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 2:26 AM, Jean-Michel Campin <jmc at ocean.mit.edu> wrote:
> Hi Sergey,
>
> I would propose to try the following:
> - set an initial flow field that corresponds to what you want.
> - turn off all the momentum (just specify:
>   momStepping=.FALSE.,
>  in parameter file "data", 1rst namelist)
> (this is how we do the advection tests with constant flow field,
>  see verification/advect_cs,  advect_xy & advect_xz )
>
> Cheers,
> Jean-Michel
>
> On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 01:12:21AM +0400, fancer fancer wrote:
> > Dear MITgcm users.
> >
> > I am trying to create the ocean numerical experiment with constant current,
> > in particular, the river with constant flow. As I understood I can add
> > permanent flux by redefining external_forsing.F file with needed flow speed.
> > Is it right?
> >
> > Are there some other easier approaches to implement this? Do exf-package has
> > some possibility to set constant current? I didn't find information about
> > this opportunity in manual.
> >
> > Thank You in advance.
> >
> > Yours sincerely,
> > Sergey Semin

Jody Klymak, Assistant Professor, SEOS and Physics & Astronomy, U. of Victoria
jklymak at uvic.ca