[MITgcm-support] close momentum budget

Matthew Thomas matthew.thomas at uea.ac.uk
Mon Jul 11 14:23:40 EDT 2011

Hi Matt

Thanks for the response. Do you know where/how I can access these mode
diagnostics for ecco?

What I want to do is calculate every term in both the zonal and meridional
momentum balance (and then ultimately take their curl to get vorticity
balance). However, the way I understand the situation to be is like this:
The mitgcm configuration for ecco implements the C-D scheme. This means that
2 additional equations are solved in the momentum balance so that D-grid
velocities can be explicitly calculated (for use in the coriolis term)
rather than approximated by four point grid averaging. So in order for me to
exactly close the momentum budget I must have access to these D-grid
velocities.

Matthew