[MITgcm-support] close momentum budget

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at ucsd.edu
Fri Jul 8 12:52:25 EDT 2011

Hi Matthew

You can exactly close the zonal momentum balance on the c-grid U point
and meridional momentum balance on the c-grid V point using the mode
diagnostics (though it isn't exactly trivial).  This is where the
model closes the budgets.

I'm not sure exactly what you are doing, but sounds like you want to
check geostrophy.  If you want to move the c-grid velocities to the d
grid, the default method for the mitgcm is to average the four
surrounding points.

-Matt