[MITgcm-support] How to use OBCS and add the Sponges layer?

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at ucsd.edu
Thu Jan 13 13:13:41 EST 2011

Hi Chunyan

Mostly fine...although I don't know of anyone who has used Orlanski or
obcs balance succesfully so as a first start you may want to turn
these off and then experiment with them later...so try:

> C This include hooks to the Orlanski Open Boundary Radiation code
> #undef ALLOW_ORLANSKI
>
> C balance barotropic velocity
> #undef ALLOW_OBCS_BALANCE

and then of course
>  useOrlanskiEast=.FLASE.,
>  useOBCSbalance=.FALSE.,

Also I would use
  useOBCSprescribe=.TRUE.,
not sure if "1" works

and also, you give
>  OBEuFile = 'OBzonalU.bin',
but you also need to give
> OBWuFile = 'OBzonalU.bin',

As for  PARM03 put something like:
&OBCS_PARM03
  Urelaxobcsinner=864000.E0,
  Urelaxobcsbound=43200.E0,
  Vrelaxobcsinner=864000.E0,
  Vrelaxobcsbound=43200.E0,
  spongeThickness=15,
  &

and I would recommend give V,T,and S too -- even if they are trivial

Hope that is everything and not too confusing,
Matt