[MITgcm-support] Tracer in a Rotating tank

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Feb 24 02:42:38 EST 2011

Joe,

the output that you get with dumpFreq > 0 is not very well documented. You can trace these variables by looking at write_state.F. This is what I got:
PNH: non-hydrostatic potential (variable name phi_nh and from NH_VARS.h):
C     phi_nh    :: Non-hydrostatic potential (=NH-Pressure/rhoConst)
PHL: "phiHydLow", i.e. the geopotential anomaly at the bottom of the domain (and from DYNVARS.h):
C     phiHydLow    :: Phi-Hydrostatic at r-lower boundary
C                     (bottom in z-coordinates, top in p-coordinates)
units are also pressure/rhoConst

I recommend turning this output off (dumpFreq=0.) and use the diagnostics package instead (data.pkg, data.diagnostics)

passive tracers:
add a line
ptracers
to packages.conf, configure the package (you might want to copy and edit PTRACERS_SIZE.h)
rebuild (make makefile && make depend && make )

please have a look at other examples and the documentation to see who to specify intial conditions, etc. (<http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node238.html>)

Martin