[MITgcm-support] the weird Temperature diffusion

Menemenlis, Dimitris (3248) Dimitris.Menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Dec 16 10:00:16 EST 2011

Chun-Yan, in the middle levels vertical temperature flux at top of each level due to KdT/dz will be compensated from flux at bottom of each level, hence no net change in temperature.

In the top and bottom levels, there is no such compensation. Hence there is an imbalance, which results in a change of temperature.  This imbalance gradually diffuses away from the top and bottom levels with increasing integration time.

Dimitris Menemenlis