[MITgcm-support] Controlling C-grid grid mode

Christopher L. Wolfe clwolfe at ucsd.edu
Wed Aug 10 14:28:31 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out what the state of the art is in controlling the C-grid grid mode associated with the Coriolis term on coarse grids (~1 deg). Alistair came up with the CD scheme to control this grid mode, but it appears to have fallen out of favor since it dissipates an unknown amount of kinetic energy. I've heard people recommend biharmonic viscosity, but I'm not sure what an optimal value of the viscosity should be. There's a note in mom_calc_visc.F that recommends A4 = 0.125 Ah dx^2 … do the list members feel that this is a good value? What other schemes do people use to control this grid mode?

Thanks,
Christopher

Dr. Christopher L. Wolfe              	   858-534-4560
Climate, Atmospheric Science, and Physical Oceanography
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD  clwolfe at ucsd.edu