[MITgcm-support] Internal waves. Noise near bottom.

fancer fancer fancer.lancer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 15:23:40 EDT 2011

Hi Dear Modelers,

I am trying to model ideal case of internal waves propagation in closed
basin without free surface (rigid lid) in 2D area with two layer
stratification (linear tilting) and parabolic bottom.
Now I faced with problem of partial discretization. I can not get a
simulation without noises near the largest steps of the bottom.
I've tried to set various dx, dz and dt steps, but without positive result.
I've tried to use  various tempAdvScheme (33, 77), unfortunately with same
result. And finally I've tried to set various hFacMin, now it is in 0.00005
value (best results), but it didn't helped me too.
We have an results of modelling through other system with sigma-coordinate
discretization, where we set 1000x50 points on 10000x10 m grid. There's no
noise.
I put the pictures with T, U and W of modeling in result directory of
attached project.
Could you tell me how should I modify my project (in attach) for clearing
the model? or how should I calculate dx and dz steps for model
stabilization? (CFL in norm)

And one more question. My area is 2D (z and x coordinates), but models
stability depends of dy step. Is this normal or something wrong with my
project? If second is true, could you tell me that can be wrong?

Thanks for help in advance.

Sincerely,
Serge Semin