[MITgcm-support] Spurious internal buoyancy minima in long runs

Christopher L. Wolfe clwolfe at ucsd.edu
Mon Apr 25 16:14:12 EDT 2011

I haven't, but I'm not sure it would really address the problem. I'm currently using a linear equation of state, for which the behavior should be relatively simple and well-defined. I think if I went to a nonlinear equation of state, it would mostly just complicate things. Even if it "fixed" the problem, I wouldn't know if it was just a case of some exotic behavior of the EOS canceling an error somewhere else in the model.

It really does seem that the MITgcm should respect the extremum property of the advection-diffusion equation and whatever is causing it to produce internal extrema is probably in a part of the code unrelated to the EOS calculation.

Christopher