[MITgcm-support] Set a density distribution

fancer fancer fancer.lancer at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 09:51:23 EDT 2011

Hi, guys.

One more question about density and buoyancy.
I've find in the source code the next formulas:
*find_rho.f:*

refTemp=tRef(kRef)
refSalt=sRef(kRef)
dRho = rhoNil-rhoConst
rhoLoc(i,j) = rhoNil*(sBeta*(sFld(i,j)-refSalt) - tAlpha*(tFld(i,j)-refTemp)
) + dRho

*calc_buoyance.f*

buoy(i,j) = -gravity*recip_rhoConst*rholoc(i,j)

*ini_parms.F*

recip_rhoConst = 1. _d 0 / rhoConst

I don't set tRef, therefore refTemp = 0.0.
I set sBeta = 0.0, rhoNil = rhoConst = 1000.0, therefore dRho = 0.0.
Now I get:
rhoLoc = - rhoNil*tAlpha*tFld(i,j)
buoy(i,j) = -gravity*recip_rhoConst*rholoc(i,j)

What's wrong in my calculations? Or may be something wrong in source code.
Is rhoLoc a density or something other?
I've found the next mailing-list:
http://mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2006-December/004492.html
And I am sure that density should be:

rhoLoc(i,j) = rhoNil*(*1 + *sBeta*(sFld(i,j)-refSalt) -
tAlpha*(tFld(i,j)-refTemp) ) + dRho

Could you please answer me where I wrong?

Sincerely,
Serge Semin