[MITgcm-support] cube sphere 510 initial conditions

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Apr 6 05:28:21 EDT 2011

Hi Zhaomin,

I use the initial conditions of the cs510 without any problems. Just regridding to lat/lon for plotting is not enough, you also need to change the orientation (for the physicists among us: a vector transforms differently from a scalar!, so you cannot treat u or v like theta, see also my previous email to you <http://mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2011-April/007071.html>). When you read and plot them like this (matlab):

% use whatever way u use to read the inital conditions
u=rdmds('UVEL',0);
v=rdmds('VVEL',0);
j=1:510; i=j+5*510;
% surface velocities on the southern face
u=u(i,j,1);
v=v(i,j,1);
% rough averaging to c-points (does not work along the edges of the of the face):
uc = .5*(u+u([2:end 1],:));
vc = .5*(v+v([2:end 1],:));
% grid orientation (cos and sin of grid north relative to geographical north)
cs = rdmds('AngleCS');
sn = rdmds('AngleSN');
%
sh   =subplot(221); pcol(sq(uc)'); title('u grid')
sh(2)=subplot(222); pcol(sq(vc)'); title('v grid')
sh(3)=subplot(223); pcol(sq(uc.*cs(i,j)-vc.*sn(i,j))'); title('zonal velocity')
sh(4)=subplot(224); pcol(sq(uc.*sn(i,j)+vc.*cs(i,j))'); title('meridional velocitiy')
axis(sh,'image')
set(sh,'clim',[-1 1]*.5)

You'll see the difference. I am attaching my results of this, the zonal velocity is mostly positive in the ACC, but the u-grid velocitiy is not.

Martin